Issues on the World Wide Web
This section is intended to provide links to sites covering various social and technological issues. Some pertaining to the Internet directly, others to more general subjects.
Links are arranged where possible under the following general headings:
GENERAL | THE ENVIRONMENT | HEALTH & MEDICAL | SOCIAL ISSUES | TECHNOLOGY ISSUES | WOMEN'S ISSUES
- "a community of over 150 leading global justice organisations under one roof"
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- "The ICRC acts to help all victims of war and internal violence, attempting to ensure implementation of humanitarian rules restricting armed violence." - Includes links to "issues such as antipersonnel mines, blinding
weapons, water and war..."
- Australian Institute of Family Studies - Links to Internet Sites
- "This list has a research and policy focus and a geographic bias to Australia and the Pacific although key sites from other countries and regions are included. All links have been visited and chosen on the basis of their content and many are good starting points for locating other sites in an area."
- Australiasian Legal Information Institute
- The decisions of Australian Courts and Tribunals from the Australasian Legal Information Institute (AustLII) - excellent online access to a wide range of Australian legislative information including Human Rights, Equal Opportunity, Native Title, Land and Environment, Residential Tennancies etc.
- Window on the Law
- "This site aims to make Australian law - and information concerning the law - freely accessible"
- Heritage Conservation and Historic Preservation
- "A range of resources for anyone interested in the care of heritage material, sites and structures." From the Preservation and Storage Division of the State Library of Victoria.
- Department of the Environment, Sport and Territories - Australia
- WWW Home Pages including Environment related pages.
- Environment Australia - Biodiversity Group
- "The Biodiversity Group of Environment Australia is part of the Australian Environment, Sport and Territories Portfolio"
- Friends of the Earth
- "FoE Australia is a federation of local and regional Friends of the Earth groups. It was formed in 1973, and has campaigned on a wide range of issues ever since.
- Its aims are the conservation, restoration and rational use of the ecosphere; and to stimulate social change towards an ecologically stable and self-managed society."
- Greenpeace International
- "Greenpeace is an independent, campaigning organisation which uses non-violent, creative confrontation to expose global environmental problems, and to force the solutions which are essential to a green and peaceful future." Includes numerous links to related organisations.
- "EnviroLink is a non-profit organization...a grassroots online community that unites hundreds of organizations and volunteers around the world with millions of people in over 130 countries. All of us at EnviroLink are dedicated to providing you with the most comprehensive, up-to-date environmental resources available.."
- World Wildlife Fund
- "WWF's mission is to conserve nature and ecological processes..."
- Animal Rights Resource Page
- Stories, FAQ's and links to Animal Rights organisations around the world.
- An extensive list of links to various medically related ethical issues.
- The Australian Institute of Family Studies
- "...was established in 1980 to promote the identification and understanding of factors affecting family stability and well being in Australia." - Includes articles and links to the "National Youth Suicide Prevention Strategy" and the "Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect".
- Guide to Psycotherapy Incorporating the Online Dictionary of Mental Health
- "This UK web site hosted at the University of Sheffield, England contains a wealth of information and links to additional resources" including substance abuse, sleep disorders, suicide, schizophrenia, aids, addiction, abuse (sexual, physical, emotional) etc etc
- United Nations Children's Fund - Includes material on basic social conditions such as health, nutrition, education and water and sanitation, and factors that have a profound impact on children's lives, such as violence against girls and women, special protections for children, child labour etc.
- Human Rights & Equal Opportunity Commission, Australia
- "Human Rights, Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander social justice, Race discrimination, Sex discrimination, Disability discrimination, Privacy"
- Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA), Australia
- Services, general information, frequently asked questions etc
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission
- "The goal of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission is to secure the empowerment of our people so that, through self-determination, we can make decisions that affect our lives and share in Australia's land, wealth and resources, contributing equitably to the nation's economic, social and political life, with full recognition of our indigenous cultural heritage as the First Australians."
- Northern Land Council
- "This site outlines the struggle for Aboriginal land rights in the Northern Territory of Australia and the role of the Northern Land"
- Council for Aboriginal Reconcilliation
- Resources, media releases and information.
- Information Technology - Issues and Implications
- "Information Technology: Issues and Implications is a page designed to help VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) students find resources related to IT issues. The page is currently under construction and any constructive feedback would be welcome."
- The Australian Commission for the Future
- "The future is no longer seen in terms of straight lines. As we approach the next century we are aware of the need for flexibility of ideas and willingness to change as we move forward."
- Electronic Frontiers Australia
- "Electronic Frontiers Australia Inc. is a non-profit national organisation formed in 1994 to protect and promote the civil liberties of users of computer based communications systems and of those affected by their use."
Includes campaigns to fight unnecessary Government censorship of the net and Telstra's repeated attempts to introduce timed local calls.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (US)
- "...a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information online, as well as to promote responsibility in new media."
Includes the sucessful "Blue Ribbon" campaign to protect Free Speech On-Line.
- Spam: Know the Facts
- "Q: What is spam?"
"A: Spam is a term used on the Internet to refer to unsolicited e-mail and Usenet postings. These messages are usually intended to..."
- The Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email
- "The Problem: Unsolicited commercial email (UCE), more commonly known as "spam," is a growing problem on the Internet. If you have used the Internet for any length of time, you have probably received solicitations via email to purchase products or services..."
- WOMANKIND Worldwide
- "WOMANKIND Worldwide is a forward looking development agency which supports women from the developing world in their fight against poverty, sexual or political oppression."
- Women's Issues
- "VICNET Women's Section - FORUM Women on the Internet. This page is devoted to women's issues. It provides links off to some of the major sites on the Internet..." - very good resource.
Please send any comments or questions about this site to the firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to the top of the page or select from the options here: (PS Don't forget to click on the GO!).
Return to Albury Local Internet Home Page