AN AWARD WINNING TOURIST ATTRACTION MUSEUM
THE DROVER'S WAGON
To the south of Jindera lies the town of Corowa. Here on 16th February, 1896, John Richardson Litt was born, the son of William Ellen Litt. John was one of 9 children.
John Litt attended the South Corowa Public School. On leaving school he went boundary riding on Urangaline Station and at Quatt Quatta. It was from the Quatt Quatta Station that John Litt commenced droving in 1923.
He purchased this wagon and two horses for his transport, and it was not until 1949 did he change to using 3 horses to pull his wagon.
He continued droving from 1923 until he retired in 1965, but he still continued to do day trips around Corowa.
He married in 1922, and was father to 11 children, 21 grand children and 4 great grandchildren.
His trips droving took him over most parts of NSW, the furthest north to Moree, west to Walgett. In Victoria the furthest south was to Werribee, and westwards he went into South Australia to the start of the Nullabour Plains.
The wagon now rests at the Jindera Pioneer Museum, and it is well worth coming to see this wagon to appreciate the hardships our pioneers put up with to eak out a living. The wagon is in excellent condition, considering that it was purchased in 1923. It has two levels, a storage level which has a wire grill in the front, and the sleeping level, which has a mattress covering the entire floor.
THE STONE WAGON
The stone wagon was made around 1910. These huge wagons were used by the Hume Shire to cart stone when improving the early roads. The wagons were used, one being loaded, ( by hand at quarrie ), one in transit and one being unloaded. The floor of the wagon is higher in the middle and slopes to the edges to assist in the unloading. These wagons are huge, and must be seen to be appreciated.
These steam engines were used for many things, clearing land, providing power for chaff cutting, etc,. They were extremely heavy, slow and cumbersom. The above engine is in very good condition and by examining it closely you can easily work out the power principles. Worth a trip simply to see this outstanding machine of the past.
Above left is an amazing difference in wheel dimension. The buggy has very thin wheels whilst the log wagon has huge wheels made out of red gum stumps. There are sheds and paddocks full of farm machinery, such as the ploughs and tillers above right, with the the more sophisticated machinery being stored out of the weather in the sheds.
There is also a complete and Original Blacksmiths Shop built in 1872 across the street, and one also replicated on the property.
THE MUSEUM IS OPEN TUESDAY TO SUNDAY
OCTOBER TO APRIL, 10.00AM UNTIL 4.30 PM
MAY TO SEPTEMBER, 10.00 AM UNTIL 3.00PM
PHONE 0260 263 622
The Up Button takes you to the Home Page
Albury Local Internet accepts no responsibility for and makes no claims as to the accuracy of any content.
For any correction, change or update click here.