TOURISMINTERNET
Up ]

 

Up
Golf Driving Range

JINDERA PIONEER MUSEUM

AN ALBURY WODONGA HISTORICAL AWARD WINNING MUSEUM

A VERY BRIEF HISTORY

WHY THE GERMAN LUTHERAN MIGRANTS CAME TO SOUTH AUSTRALIA

In the 1830's, religion in Prussia, ( Germany ) was in a state of turmoil. There were two branches of the Lutheran Church, and a decree was put out by the " King " that the people must support the Union Church, or face prison. This had the effect of driving the other Lutheran Church underground.

A Pastor Kavel defected from the Union Lutheran Church, and joined the underground branch, taking many parishoners with him. To avoid prison, Pastor Kavel was investigating emigrating with his parishoners to another country, perhaps Russia. Pastor Kavel heard of the South Australian Colonisation, and went and met with an English Merchant named George Angus who was forming a Company to establish a colony of free settlers in South Australia. George Angus was sold on the idea of the Lutheran Emigrants and agreed to help finance the journey. It took two years and international political pressure to simply obtain the necessary passports from the Prussian Government.

The fist of three groups left Prussia on the 8th June, 1838. There were about 200 in the first group and they sailed to England, and on 7th July 1838 set sail for Australia. The journey took about 19 weeks, arriving on 21st November 1838. The details of the trip are in a book which is sold at the museum, explaining the total cargo of food, and how it was calculated and rationed, and detailing the many deaths at sea.

WHY THE LUTHERAN MIGRANTS LEFT SOUTH AUSTRALIA

AND TREKKED IN WAGONS TO JINDERA

Land in South Australia was short on supply and so was expensive and hard to get. In 1861 the Robertson Land Act of NSW stated that land was available for families at one pound per acre. The minimum acreage was 40 acres, and the maximum 320 acres. This minimum was for each member of your family. Payment was on a time period basis, with a relatively small deposit. Thus a family consisting of two adults and two children could obtain a maximum of 1,280 acres. This made land in NSW very appealing to the South Australian migrants.

A Mr Schultz was deputised to spy out land on the Upper Murray ( Albury ), suitable for 700 to 800 families. He selected Dight's Forest, Jindera.

In 1867 approximately 60 migrants left South Australia and trekked using wagons all the way to Jindera. The trip took about 6 weeks. One of the original families, the Funk family came to Jindera in this wagon pictured below in 1867, and have donated the wagon to the museum. The historical significance of this wagon cannot be underestimated. The wagon which is kept under cover is in very good condition considering that it was at least 133 years old at the turn of this century.

THE ORIGINAL PIONEER WAGON BRINGING THE FUNK FAMILY TO COMMENCE THE TOWN OF JINDERA IN 1867

 

Jind1.JPG (11818 bytes)

Jind2.JPG (12772 bytes)

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL WAGON WHICH BROUGHT 

THE ORIGINAL SETTLORS TO JINDERA

IMAGINE THE HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE OF THIS HORSE DRAWN VEHICLE

When the migrants came to Dight's Forest, they camped by the Four Mile Creek, where stands today a Pioneer Cairn. Previous to these migrants, Hume and Hovell blazed a trail from Sydney to Port Phillip, ( Geelong ), in 1824. British pastoralists took up large tracks of land around Albury soon after. In "Jindera" John Dight, a relative of Hamilton Hume,  took up 45,000 acres known as Dight's Forest. Other relatives being Mitchel and Huon also took out pastoral leases.

THE OLDEST REMAINING ORIGINAL COTTAGE IN THE ALBURY DISTRICT, GIVES AN EXCELLENT LOOK AT LIFE IN THE LATE 1800'S.

 

On arrival in 1867 the pioneers found a Wattle and Daub cottage in what now the grounds of the Jindera Pioneer Museum. This is the earliest known cottage still remaining in the Albury District. The cottage could date back to the 1840's, nobody is really sure, as the town of Jindera was planned in 1867, and the cottage was here then. It was probably used by a boundary rider for the Dight's Forest Pastoral Lease, which dates back to the 1840's.

The Wattle and Daub Cottage was made by placing wattle branches upright and clamping them top and bottom, as in the picture on the right below, and filling the cracks with mud and cow manure. The cottage was restored in March 1988, and now supports a metal roof, unlike the shingle original.

Jind5.JPG (6536 bytes)

Jind3.JPG (6196 bytes)

Jind4.JPG (7529 bytes)

Above the Wattle and Daub Cottage, the walls made of saplings or branches and the gaps filled in with mud and cow manure. This is the oldest cottage in the Albury region.

Jind6.JPG (7695 bytes)

Jind7.JPG (7256 bytes)

Jind8.JPG (7493 bytes)

The furniture in this cottage is furniture of the pre 1900 era. The kitchen was the heart of the building, with the cooking done on the open fire. The rooms are as if the occupants have just stepped out for a while. Just looking at this fully furnished cottage you can feel the hardships our ancestors had to bear.

THE SLAB HUT

 

Jind9.JPG (12375 bytes)

Jind10.JPG (7775 bytes)

This slab hut is a combination of three slab huts from the region, the largest coming from East Albury. This is a typical example of the construction of this type of timber hut.On the verandah above you can see a complete set of washing equipment of the late 1800's.

Jind11.JPG (14124 bytes)

Jind12.JPG (12045 bytes)

The kitchen table takes centre stage, with the fire and cooking utensils on the left, and the crude but effective beds to the right. All the furniture is of the period 1870 to 1900.

 

Jind13.JPG (27824 bytes)

Inside the slab hut is this magnificently built fireplace with warming oven, and the mantlepiece with a grand old clock, the old faithful rocking chair and the cooking utensils built to last forever.

 

WHEN VISITING ALBURY WODONGA PLEASE ENSURE YOU COME AND SEE THIS AWARD WINNING MUSEUM FULL OF PIONEER HISTORY

 

THE MUSEUM IS OPEN TUESDAY TO SUNDAY

                                OCTOBER TO APRIL,   10.00AM UNTIL 4.30 PM

                                MAY TO SEPTEMBER, 10.00 AM UNTIL 3.00PM

PHONE   0260 263 622

 

                                                               

Page 1  Index

Page 2 The Residence

3 Wagons & Engine

4 History & Slab Hut

Page 5 Residence Cont.

Page 6 Wagners Store

7 Cronology & Sundry

Other Museums

Regional Attractions

 

 

The Up Button takes you to the Home Page

 

From 1/Jan/2012, this site is being hosted by Albury Local Internet as a community service.
Albury Local Internet accepts no responsibility for and makes no claims as to the accuracy of any content.
For any correction, change or update, please email tim@albury.net.au or call 02-6040-3000.