Welcome to the World Wide Web ...
Courtesy of Albury Local Internet
Please note, this site is no longer being
maintained, it is here for legacy purposes
and no attempt to update links or references
has been made. Don't bother reporting dead links.
To help you find a few useful,
essential, or otherwise downright
interesting sites, we're collecting
a library of links.
These links are direct to the
originating sites, and where
possible to their Australian
mirror sites, and thus are subject
to the whims and vagaries of
their respective authors, sites
and the status of the 'net.
This is by no means a comprehensive list, the Web is BIG.
This is only a starting point ...
Remember, if the Search Engines can't find EXACTLY what
(the Internet's equivalent of an active index)
you want, a related site may have links that will take you
where you want to go. Explore ...
- Webcrawler Search Utility
- "Spidey" is usually fast, and will give you a lot of URLs to try.
- Not very descriptive first time through.
- The Lycos WWW Search Engine
- Lycos list less URLs by default, but includes an abstract from
- each listing. Quite helpful if the title is obscure.
- Alta Vista
- Alta Vista's Australian Mirror Site
- Similar to Lycos. Very Good. Will search Newsgroups (Usenet)
- Yahoo Search Utility
- Very useful.
- Excite Netsearch
- "The intelligent way to navigate the net "
- Matilda Australian Search Engine
- A true blue Australian Search Engine.
- Australian FTP Mirrors search
- If you would like or need to find an Australian mirror site, try this
- Search The Web
- From Cornell University Medical College - Links to a number
of Search Engines & References including Savvy Search,
the World Wide Yellow Pages and Webster's Dictionary.
- Netscape's Net Search & Links to other Search Engines
- Telstra White Pages
- The Yellow Pages
- Australia Post Home page
- includes Post Code info.
- New Zealand
- Telecom New Zealand Home Page
- NZ Telephone Directory Search
- European Phone Directories
- Four11 Directory Services - The Internet White Pages
- - over 5 million listings (mostly U.S.A.)
Newspapers & Magazines
- The Age Newspaper - Melbourne, Australia
- Careful - won't work at all on some browsers, runs Java applets.
- The Sydney Morning Herald
- Computers, Metro - Sydney's Hottest Gig Guide
- The Australian Financial Review
- 'As 1996 unfolds AFRnet will continue to grow, helping
our users make quick and accurate business decisions.
- Times Newspapers Ltd
- Internet editions of the (London) Times and the Sunday Times
- Time Magazine
- The on-line version.
- Links to most major Computer Magazines on-line.
- The Wall Street Journal
- Money & Investing Magazine
- Yahoo's Extensive List
- ... of available On-Line publications
- The ABC
- The Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Television Guide
- Melbourne programming guide for Albury and North-East Victoria.
- Australian Television Networks
- Links and addresses for Guides, Studios and Networks.
- Ask Yahoo ...
- ... If you want to find info and Home Pages for your
- favorite TV shows, actors etc.
- Tourist Radio Australia
- A list of links to radio & media in Australia & all over the world.
- Australian Radio
- Yahoo's list of Australian Radio Stations on the Web.
- You can also search Yahoo for Radio Stations from other countries.
- Cool Radio Stations
- A massive list of American Radio Stations and Radio Web Sites.
- American Stock Exchange
- "... the first U.S. stock market on the World Wide Web"
- Australian Stock Exchange
- Information about Australian equities and derivatives markets.
- Australian Banks on the Web include:
- Advance Bank
- ANZ Bank
- Bank of Melbourne
- Bankwest, Perth WA
- Commonwealth Bank
- Macquarie Bank
- National Australia Bank
- St.George Bank
- Westpac Banking Corporation
- Butterworths Legal Information
- Butterworths is Australia's leading legal, tax and commercial
- Corporate Internet Professional Resources
- A useful collection of Australian Professional Listings
- Dow Jones Directory of Related Web Sites
- "Where the Web gets down to business."
- KPMG Australia
- "KPMG is one of Australia's largest accounting and business
- advisory firms ..."
- The Webs leading source of daily business news.
- Paritech Systems
- "Servicing the needs of the Australian Sharemarket Investor"
- Small Business Links Australia
- From Small Business Victoria
- Sydney Futures Exchange
- S.F.E. end of day settlement prices from the Chicago Board
- of Trade!
- Commonwealth Government Entry Point
- Main entry point to all Government Internet sites,
- Government News, Departments, Information,
- Working Parties etc.
- The Australian Trade Commission
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- ABS World Wide Web information service
- The Australian Institute of Sport
- From the Australian Sports Commission
- Australian Taxation Office
- ATO, tax information and related links.
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation
- The National Library of Australia
- "Welcome to the NLA World-Wide Web site."
- Political Party and Election-related material.
- The Australian Electoral Commission
- Home Page for their information and activities.
This section changes frequently. To be sure you have the most recent
version if you've been here before, Reload this page.
New to the Internet?
- Newbie Survey
- A survey conducted by Lynne Roberts, a Ph.D. student at Curtin University
in Perth, specifically designed for new internet users with
less than one month online.
- BT Global Challenge
- - The World's Toughest Yacht Race.
- - The Home of Cricket on the Internet
- The Anglo-Australian Observatory
- Links to Astronomical and Astrophysical Sites
- Compiled and maintained by the AAO people.
- NASA Today
- Has lots of handy links to space related sites, Hubble etc.
- NASA Shuttle Web
- This site contains information on the crew and their
- mission and will be regularly updated with status reports,
- photos and video clips thoughout the flight.
- Office of Space Flight
- NASA's alternative site for shuttle information.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- NASAs Home Page (can take a while to load)
- Project Galileo
- Bringing Jupiter to Earth - Galileo Home Page
- The Ultimate Industry Connection
- A massive list of computer hardware & software
- manufactures, information and support resources.
- It's big! If they're on the Web, there linked in here.
- Trident Drivers and Technology
- Updated video drivers for Dos, Windows (95,3.11,NT) and OS2.
- Apple Computer Home Page
- "Welcome to Apple" Official Apple Web Site
- Apple Support & Information and their US mirror site.
- Can be difficult to reach during (Australian) business hours.
- Apple System Software FTP Server and mirror site.
- Can be almost impossible to access during business hours!
- Major Australian Mac FTP sites:
- University of New South Wales
- Sumex Info-Mac Archive Mirror
- University of Michigan Mac Archive Mirror
- University of Western Sydney
- Adelaide Uni Archive Mirror
- Internet Starter Kit for Macintosh
- Based around the Book. Good collection of links.
- The Well Connected Mac
- "Your on-line guide to everything Macintosh ..."
- Mac Newsgroup - FAQ
- Macintosh Frequently Asked Questions
- Macintosh Newsgroups
- Hardware, software, programming, games, etc
- OS/2 Warp Home Page
- From IBM.
- IBM Information
- Australian Mirror.
- OS/2 Warp Migration Assistant
- From the IBM Personal Systems Competency Center.
- OS/2 Compatible Systems
- Compatibility test information provided by IBM
- OS/2 "Must-Have" Utilities And FTP Links
- The OS/2 SuperSite
- New Web Site for OS2 Shareware and Freeware.
- OS/2 Software Solutions Product Directory
- Database sponsored by IBM, OS/2 and Lotus.
- SBT Information Systems
- "... to increase awareness of OS/2 Warp and OS/2 applications."
- OS/2 Newsgroups
- Applications, games, hardware, marketplace etc.
- Windows 3.x
- Refer to individual vendors for extensive Windows 3.x support.
- Microsoft Home Page
- Windows 95 and NT support only these days.
- "The best Windows 95 Information, Tools, and Shareware
- on the 'Net!" (Can be hard to get to)
- Windows 95 Assistance:
- The Windows95 TCP/IP Setup HOW - TO/FAQ
- Frank Condron's Windows 95 Page
- Win95 FAQ - Bugs and Missing Features
- CD Rom Extras For those whose Win95 was on floppy.
- Windows FTP sites
- List of other FTP sites from Cica Indiana
- Windows 95 Annoyances
- Windows Newsgroups
- Windows, 95 and NT.
- Windows 95 Specific Newsgroups
- (In case you need them in a hurry)
Stop Telstra Timed Local Calls
- EFA OFFICIAL SITE
Free Speech On-Line
- The Blue Ribbon Campaign
- What the "paint the Web black" and "Free Speech On-Line"
- campaign is all about.
- The STOP Campaign
- "On 9th June 1996, Electronic Frontiers Australia Inc.
- (EFA) initiated an Australia-wide campaign aimed
- at preventing the introduction of poorly conceived laws
- regulating the Internet in Australia.
- (eg Netscape 2.0, and up, IE version 3 and up), PLEASE READ THIS!
- Four11 Directory Services
- The Internet White Pages - over 5 million listings (mostly U.S.A.)
- Web Browsers:
- Netscape for Mac; Windows 3.1, 95, NT; and Unix.
- Microsoft Internet
Explorer for Mac, Windows 3.1, 95, NT.
- NCSA Mosaic for Mac; Windows 3.1, 95, NT; X Windows;
- including NCSA Mosaic Access Page - informationon
- on Web access for persons with disabilities.
- Browsers for OS/2 - IBM WebExplorer and Netscape
- World Wide Web Clients list from W3C
- World Wide Web Browsers list from Yahoo
- Real Audio for Windows and Mac
- CU-SeeMe is available from Cornell and White Pines.
- The Ultimate Children's Internet Sites!
- Links sorted by school ages for fun and education.
- Kid's Wave!
- SafeSurf approved sites by category.
- Welcome to Kids.Com,
- where kids can find good information on the Internet.
- Kids Did This!
- Kids pages by kids, for kids.
- Hi! My name is Heather.
- I am 9 years old. These are some of my ...
- Disney on the Web
- Australian Educational Resources
- Free Internet Encyclopedia
- Experimental Project
- "best professional K-12 Educational web site"
- The StarChild Project:
- Connecting NASA and the K12 Classroom
- List of K12 schools on the Net
- K-12 Education Resources (USA)
- Good education links general resource
- Charles Sturt University
- The Parenting Web Site
- Parenting Resources from the Department of Family and
Children's Services, Western Australia.
- Parenting Resource Centre
- Very American but well worth a visit.
- Articles and links to a wide variety of parenting resources
- available on the Web.
- First Aid Online
- Basic First Aid and links to Online Medical Resources.
- SafeSurf Home Page
- "Goal: a Safe Cyber-Playground Without Censorship"
- SafeSurf Monthly Newsletters
- Focusing on issues of how to protect our Web Surfing children
- without destroying or crippling the 'net in the process.
- Software designed to monitor and restrict children's access
to unsuitable material is available from:
- Microsystems Software's CyberPatrol for Windows and Mac.
- Net Nanny for DOS/Windows
- InterGO from TeacherSoft for Windows 95 and Windows 3.1
- Mac support coming.
- CYBERsitter a Windows program from Solid Oak Software
- SurfWatch from SurfWatch Software, Inc. for Windows and Mac.
If you have an interesting link you think should be added, let us know.
Comments or questions to the Webmaster
Return to Albury Local Internet Home Page